I’ve made some sweet treats over the weekend. I've always found myself working with chocolate and fruit, no matter how hard I try to diversify my repertoire. It's bold yet comforting, and I think it's always a good idea for a dessert or snack. Very few people will say no, I can tell you that.
I made this tart in anticipation of seeing an old friend. Shoutout to Starr, if you're reading this. She's come home for awhile from a land far far away and I thought a chocolate tart would be the perfect way to welcome her home. A package of oreos and half a stick of melted butter will get you a delicious crust. Press firmly into a tart pan with a loose bottom and freeze. Heat some heavy cream and pour over dark chocolate and whisk until you have a glossy, rich pool of velvety chocolate. Spread some marmalade on the bottom of the tart crust and pour the ganache over the marmalade layer. Freeze or refrigerate till firm.
I was initially worried in making this cake. Baking Paleo was something I haven't ever done before. One of my friends is super fit and takes care of what he puts in his body, exercises, runs marathons and all of that. It's been a personal goal of mine to make a paleo cake that not only he would enjoy, but something that anyone could say "whoa, I didn't know this was paleo!"
I took a recipe I found online and made some adjustments that resulted in the cake you see above, but I'm still not too happy with it. I'll keep working on it and will post a recipe when I'm satisfied with the taste. I must say that I'm quite impressed with the versatility of coconut oil and coconut flour.
A friend of mine just recently passed all four parts of the CPA exam. Having seen her go through so much work to get to where she is today, of course I had to make this cake! I remember her liking chocolate, so a chocolate cake was a must! As a last minute addition, I used some marmalade between the cake layers to add flavor and ensure that the cake stayed moist throughout the day. Top it off with some chocolate ganache and fresh fruit, and you've got a dessert fit for any celebration.
Now, if I could muster up the motivation to study and pass my own CPA exams! I kid, if my professors are reading this, I'm studying, and have scheduled to take my first exam very soon.
But... It is a Wednesday. Are you thinking about the weekend yet???
Happy Wednesday Ya’ll! We’re almost there! (At least for some of us, anyway). As a Houstonian, I often hear that there is nothing to do in this town. As you will see in this post, Houston is full of diversity and activity. One of the things that I wanted to write about in this blog was my adventures and travels- in and out of Houston, and also share events and fun tidbits that I enjoy. I hope you will too, as Houston has a lot to offer. I will write a more in depth post about Houston later on, but below is mylist of things you could do this week or weekend. Maybe I will see you there?
Things to Do This Weekend, 02/27-02/28, 2016
Saturday, February 27, 2016
Rodeo Houston Parade
- Time/Place: 10am, Downtown Houston
Chalk Art Competition at Cultural Kite Festival
- Time/Place: 10am, Sugarland Memorial Park – 15300 University Blvd, Sugarland, TX 77479
- Contact email@example.com for more info or to sign up!
Retro Swap Meet 3: Games & Toys
- Time/Place 2pm-6pm at GameGuys Warehouse 4108 Glenbrook Ct. Houston, TX77087
- $10 Venue Fee
Beats + BBQ+ Brews at Lincoln Bar Houston
- Time/Place- 12pm-5pm at Lincoln Bar Houston – 5110 Washington Ave, Houston, TX 77007
- Details: DJ, BBQ and Beer. Perfect Saturday afternoon, no?
Sunday, February 28, 2016
6th Annual Houston Kosher Chili Cook-off
- Time/Place: 12pm, 5601 S. Braeswood Houston, TX 77096
- Tickets: $6-10
- Details: Live Music, moonwalk, climbing walls, balloon artists, jalapeno eating contest, silent auctions and Houston’s best kosher chili- all proceeds will benefit Jewish Day Schools.
AssistHers Decadent Desserts & Dancing
- Time/Place: 1pm, 11410 Hempstead Rd. Houston, TX 77092
- Tickets: $25-30
- Details: Featuring desserts by top Houston Chefs, entertainment, and music, proceeds from this event will benefit AssistHers, which provides a network of support for lesbians with chronic or debilitating illnesses lead as normal lives as possible.
2nd Annual HOBY 5K FUNd Run
- Time/Place: 8am, University of Houston-Clear Lake |2700 Bay Area Blvd, Houston, TX 77058
- Register Here
- Details: Run to support an amazing cause- our future leaders! I can’t help but shamelessly plug in this event. HOBY, or Hugh’OBrian Youth Leadership, has been cultivating young leaders for many years. They hold seminars all around the globe each year to inspire students to find ways they can positively impact their community. I went as a student, and almost 10 years later, I’m still volunteering.
- Time/Place: 10am-2pm, 2800 Navigation Boulevard Houston
- Details: On this special edition of the East End Market (year round, open air farmers and artists market), there will be live mariachi music by Mariachi Alegre from 11-1. Come peruse through locally sourced foods and unique handcrafted items. Shop/Eat Local!
Yuppie Heights Market
- Time/Place: 1pm-5pm Yuppie Dog: 2203 Durham Dr. Houston, TX 77007
- Details: Shop with local artisans, grab something tasty to eat/drink, and chill!
- Time/Place: 12pm-6pm at 8th Wonder Brewery -2202 Dallas St. Houston, TX77003
- Details: Local artists/shops, live music, and more!
Yoga & Hops
- Time/Place: 11am-1pm at Karbach Brewing Co. 2032 Karbach St. Houston, TX 77092
- $20- Yoga and Beer
- Details- Pretty self-explanatory. Do yoga. Reward yourself with beer.
Lei Low Bar 2nd Anniversary Party
- Time/Place: 2pm-12am at Lei Low Bar – 6412 N Main St, Houston, TX 77009
- Details: Houston’s favorite tiki bar is turning 2! Come enjoy, music, giveaways, and the release of Lei Low’s first mug, designed by Eekum Bookum.
Flock’s 7th Annual Beastly Brunch
- Time/Place: 11am-2pm at Houston Zoo – 6200 Hermann Park Dr, Houston, Texas 77030
- Tickets- $35-50
- Details: The Houston’s Zoo Young Professionals Group invites you to join them for morning cocktails and brunch, followed by an afternoon of exploration at the zoo.
SundayFunday/ Crawfish Boil at The Phoenix on Westheimer
- Time/Place: 12pm – The Phoenix 1915 Westheimer Rd. Houston, TX 77098
- Tickets: $6 for 1llb of crawfish, includes sausage and mushrooms. Corn and potatoes are free!
Slow Food Houston Meet & Greet Happy Hour
- Time/Place: 4pm-6pm at Camerata at Paulie’s – 1834 Westheimer Rd. Houston, TX 77098
- Details: Learn more about the Slow Food organization and meet the members. Learn how you can get involved. Slow Food Houston’s mission is to invite and encourage the Houston community to learn, access, understand, appreciate, and celebrate food.
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – 2016 World’s Championship BBQ Contest
- 02/25-02/28- Details here.
Old Town Spring- Big Top Vintage Market
- Time/Place: 10am-5pm, at 405 Main Street, Old Town Spring, TX
- Details: Shop for all things vintage, antique, junk, industrial, etc.
To find more events, check out your Facebook events page and local websites, such as Houston Culture Map or HoustonPress.